Franklin Delano Roosevelt has many quotes, and one which I believe can be applied to the illogical thinking of Vernon Jones is, “Never underestimate a man who overestimates himself.” Perhaps Vernon should spend some time in understanding this quote by FDR.
Many of DeKalb County voters are well aware of doings of Vernon Jones as was evident by their refusing to support him in his failed bid for the U.S. Senate.
The arrogance of Vernon Jones is well-documented by his past action and his willingness to do and say anything to trick the voters into thinking he has their best interest at heart. Mr. Jones called it a “miracle” because he has been the only person in DeKalb County who believes MARTA needed to be expanded.
I would pray Congressman Hank Johnson does not ever demonstrate the kind of inept leadership of Vernon Jones.
Here are a few of the facts Vernon Jones doesn’t want the voters of the 4th District to remember:
- Recently, DeKalb County had to defend and lose a racial discrimination lawsuit because of Vernon Jones.
- Vernon was also the subject of a rape.
- Vernon gave county contracts to campaign contributors to build sidewalks to nowhere.
- He put his personal attorney Joy Walker as chief judge of the DeKalb Recorders Court, which had been a complete failure.
- Vernon refused to support candidate Barack Obama for president and later sent out a misleading campaign flier implying he stood with then-candidate Obama.
In fact, Vernon Jones was a paid member of the GOP Foundation, which costs $1,000 per year. At one point, he had his attorney Joy Walker send me a letter threatening a civil lawsuit because of private comments I made about him.
I can say from my viewpoint, Washington does not need any more self-serving members like Vernon Jones. Fourth District voters would do well to continue letting Vernon Jones do what he does best – campaign for public office.
The voters should look at the record of Congressman Hank Johnson and decide if the congressman should be re-elected.
The real miracle will be for Vernon Jones to retire from his desire to be in the public arena. Anyone paying attention only hears from Vernon Jones when he is campaigning for public office or is a subject or defendant in a criminal or civil case.
The voters of the 4th District should seriously consider if someone with the lack of political integrity, arrogance, self-serving and vindictiveness of Vernon Jones should get their vote as the congressman from the 4th District.
Jerry Wyatt lives in Lithonia.