On Sunday South DeKalb County will be all in for Super Bowl LIII.
And with good reason.
On the field will be a local boy – Los Angeles Rams tight end Gerald Everett – so what better reason to cheer.
Everett, 24, is a 2012 Columbia High School graduate who didn’t suit up for the Eagles until his senior year. But look at him now.
He is one of two Super Bowl players and coaches with ties to DeKalb County; and one of nine players with Georgia ties who are playing in Super Bowl LIII on Feb. 3 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
The other former DeKalb County football player is Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay, who was a Marist quarterback. McVay, 32, is the youngest NFL coach to work a Super Bowl.
The 6-ft., 3-in Everett, who tips the scales at 240 pounds, was drafted in the second round by the Rams in 2017, the 44th overall pick. ESPN and NFL media analyst Mike Mayock ranked him the fourth best tight end in the draft.
After graduating from Columbia in 2012, Everett attended Hutchinson Community College for two years before relocating to the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2014. After the UAB football program was shuttered, he transferred to the University of South Alabama in 2015 putting in two seasons there.
The Rams and the New England Patriots face off Sunday in Super Bowl LIII at 6:30 p.m. at the home of the Atlanta Falcons.
Here are the Super Bowl LII players with Georgia connections:
New England Patriots
- RB Sony Michel – played college football at the University of Georgia.
- C David Andrews – graduated from Wesleyan High School in Peachtree Corners and played college football at UGA.
- OT Trent Brown – graduated from Westover High School in Albany, played two years of college football at Georgia Military College in Milledgeville.
- OT Shaq Mason – played college football at Georgia Tech.
- DT Ufomba Kamalu – graduated from Starr's Mill High School in Fayetteville.
- DB Jonathan Jones – graduated from Carrollton High School in Carrollton.
Los Angeles Rams
- RB Todd Gurley – played college football at UGA.
- TE Gerald Everett – 2012 graduate, Columbia High School in Decatur.
- LB Ramik Wilson – played college football at UGA
- Coach Sean McVay – was Marist High School quarterback.