DeKalb County’s public pools will open on May 26 for the summer season, which runs through July 27.
Browns Mill Aquatic Facility, at 4929 Browns Mill Road in Lithonia, will be open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Sundays from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Exchange Splash Pad, at 2771 Columbia Drive in Decatur, will be open Mondays and Wednesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and on Sundays and Tuesdays from noon to 7 p.m.
Three public pools – Gresham Park, at 3113 Gresham Road in Atlanta; Lithonia Park, at 2501 Park Drive in Lithonia; and Tobie Grant Park, at 644 Parkdale Road in Scottdale – will be closed Mondays but will be open Tuesday through Saturday from noon to 6 p.m. and on Sundays from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Three other public pools – Kittredge Park, at 2535 North Druid Hills Road in Atlanta; Midway Park, at 3181 Midway Road in Decatur; and Medlock Park, at 874 Gaylemont Circle in Decatur – will all be closed Tuesdays but will open Mondays and Wednesday through Saturday from noon to 6 p.m. as well as on Sundays from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Six of the pools – Browns Mill Aquatic Facility, Exchange Splash Pad, Gresham Park, Lithonia Park, Midway Park, and Medlock Park – will also remain open on weekends through Labor Day, Sept. 3.
The DeKalb Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Affairs offers various programs including swim lessons and water aerobics at county pools.
For more information visit www.dekalbcountyga.gov/parks or call 770-414-2113.
Tips on pool safety:
- Always watch children when they’re in or near water.
- Teach children basic water safety tips and enroll them in swimming lessons.
- Keep children away from drains, pipes, and other pool openings to avoid entrapments.
- Fit children who can’t swim with a personal flotation device.
- Have a cellphone, first aid kit and flotation device handy when you or your family are using a pool, as well as scissors to cut hair, clothing or a pool cover if needed.
- Learn to perform CPR.
- Install a fence around pools and use self-closing or self-latching gates.
- Install a lockable safety cover on pools or spas.
- Install pool and gate alarms.
- Don’t run around or near pools to avoid slipping on wet ground.
- For infants and toddlers, an adult who knows how to swim should be in the water and within arm’s reach.
- Keep electronic devices away from water.
- Don’t dive into a pool unless it’s deep enough.
- Check the depth of water before entering.
- Be careful when using pool toys, including inflatable objects.